The Clocktower

The Clocktower

The Clocktower

Beyond dispute the clocktower represents the town‘s landmark.

It reflects most the town‘s ambition for protection and authority. Constructed on the citadel‘s inner plateau and its forefront showing towards sunrise it had to protect the citadel‘s main entrance. At the same time there were based in the local council and the major, later on it was used as the city archive. This double function shows up the big accuracy being applied while constructing this tower: It seems very powerful and imposing , but in the same time festive and representative.

Built in the 14th century, the tower leaves a very picturesque effect with its double barbican (b.t.w. a very effective protection to control access through the citadel‘s main entrance), the machicolations, walls around and the look-out alleyway in front. This effect is even amplified through the presence of the 4 small turrets on the roof, symbolizing a very particular privilege of the town:
Punishing convicts, even with death sentence.

The construction consists of a pentagonal footprint with five floors, completed with a balcony in the topmost level and a roof in pyramidal shape. The overall height is 64 m, at which only the roof has 34 m.

The roof almost destroyed by fire on April 30, in 1676, has been reconstructed in 1677 by the master craftsmen Veit Gruber (Tirol), Phillip Bonge (Salzburg) and the carpenter Valentinus.

After a couple of repairs (1775, 1804) the last restoration is dating  from 1894. The old roof has been replaced with a roof made from color-varnished shingles. Thereby the two emblems and the inscription on the forefront (townside) were made .

The roof‘s baroque style is evident, towards the top it is intersected by a small floor housing lanterns. The steepletop is shaped by an imperial roof with two cupolas. Between each cupola there is a small floor housing a lantern.

In the middle of the 17th century the clocktower has been provided with a clock refurbished by Johann Kirschel. The clock‘s mechanical equipment represented the typical style of central european citadels at this time. Wooden figurines of 80 cm height showing pagan godheads personifying the weekdays: Diana, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and the Sun.They are attached to the two fore fronts, together with the figurines showing the legal autonomy and privilege for punishment (a.k.a. „jus gladii“).

The clock‘s actual mechanism dates from 1906 and representing a special order to the Swiss company FUCHS. It is mounted since April 1st 1906.

In 1964 the clock has been provided with an electrical engine by the craftsmen Konradt (father and son).The huge clock faces have got each a diameter of 2,40m.

 

 

Enter the virtual 360° tour